A digital scale is one of the best investments to control your weight, whether you want to lose weight or gain weight, or you need it for health. Healthy body weight is “the range of body weight that is related to statistics of good health. Often, health professionals estimate with the use of growth charts or with the use of formulas ”.
Current scales are capable of measuring different parameters that help us to carry out detailed and long-term control of our state. In addition, they have the ability to memorize the data and the evolution of different users. In this article, we are going to tell you everything you need to know so as not to make a mistake when buying a digital scale.
- The Most Important
- The Best Digital Scales: Our Favorites
- Shopping Guide: What You Should Know About Digital Scales
- Purchase criteria
The Most Important
- A digital scale is more accurate than a mechanical scale, but, in addition, it can offer us varied and diverse measurements that help us keep track of our general state of health.
- There are different types of scales on the market: simple electronic, bioimpedance, or smart. The type we choose will depend on its price, the accuracy of its measurements, and its functionalities.
- When acquiring a digital scale, it is important that you take into account different purchase criteria, such as the parameters it measures, the memory and user management, or the screen. We will delve into this question in the last section of the guide.
The Best Digital Scales: Our Favorites
The market for digital scales has evolved by leaps and bounds in recent years. Although there are those who continue to favor the traditional analog scales, modern models offer many useful functionalities. Here we propose four good options:
The Best Digital Scale for Practical Users
Manufacturer: EatSmart (HPC)
Item model number: ESBS-01
Product Dimensions : 1.88 x 13.5 x 13.88 inches
Item Weight: 4.7 Pounds
Batteries: 4 AA batteries required.
This is a simple and very practical digital scale, ideal for those who need to know their weight precisely, without further complications. We recommend it because it features an extra-large LCD screen and a spacious 12.25 x 11.75-inch platform.
Plus, it’s super-safe, made from tempered glass that holds up to 400 pounds. The model uses 4 AAA batteries. At the moment these are being unloaded, the scale will tell you. Additionally, the offer includes a tape measure to complement the monitoring of your ideal weight.
The Best Digital Scale That Measures BMI, Body Fat, and More
Item model number: ES-26M
Material: Tempered Glass
Item Weight: 2.43 Pounds
Item Dimensions: 10.2 x 10.2 x 0.96 inches
Batteries : 3 AAA batteries required. (included)
If you want to receive more information than your weight, then this scale may be what you are looking for. Unlike the simplest models, it measures and returns data such as body fat, BMI (Body Mass Index), body age, water, and more. And if we compare the price, the change is not very significant.
This is a model that connects to the cell phone (Bluetooth), through the Fitnidex app, and is compatible with Apple Health, Google Fit, Fitbit, and other “pro” fitness platforms.
Score by Features
The Best Smart Scale for the Whole Family
Item model number: WBS05-Black-All-Inter
Item Weight: 4.4 Pounds
Item Dimensions: 12.8 x 12.8 x 0.9 inches
Batteries: 4 AAA batteries required. (included)
The achievements that we enjoy the most are achieved as a team. If you are looking for a digital scale that you can share with your loved ones, consider this smart model. Automatically recognize and track up to 8 users. It even stores information on pregnant users, and then automatically tracks the baby’s weight.
The device syncs with your cell phone through the Health Mate app. Keeping track of weight, muscle mass, bone mass, body fat, water, and more is pretty easy. It is also compatible with multiple fitness platforms. Additionally, it works with Alexa.
The Best Digital Scale for the Kitchen
Material: Tempered Glass, Stainless Steel
Weight Limit: 11 Pounds
Item Dimensions: 7.09 x 5.12 x 4.33 inches
Batteries: 2 AAA batteries required. (included)
Now, if what you need is a digital scale to weigh your food, forget the previous options, and pay attention to this offer. It is a small model that returns accurate data in grams, ounces, and 4 other units of measure, depending on what you configure. At most, it will weigh up to 6.61 pounds (3000 grams).
The function that we like the most about this model is that of “tare”. If you don’t know what it is about, it is a function that will allow you to subtract the weight of the plate or container that you use to place the ingredients.
Shopping Guide: What You Should Know About Digital Scales
You made it this far, so you’re probably thinking of buying a digital scale, are we right? In that case, do not miss this section, in which we will try to solve the most frequent doubts among consumers.
Why do you need a digital scale?
Nobody remembers scales until they need to lose a few extra pounds or decide “seriously” to get in shape. Well, it is better to buy an afternoon than never, but one of these scales can help you keep track of the day — and not lose it — so you don’t get caught in a rush. Do you need more reasons? Don’t worry, we have more:
- They allow you to measure different parameters in addition to weight.
- They are more reliable and extremely sensitive, taking advantage of the most innovative advancements in the industry.
- They hardly have any margin for error.
- They are very easy to use and even calibrate, they are usually very intuitive.
- Its weighing platforms are adequate and comfortable.
- They hardly take up space: their design is modern and compact, they are very light.
Today’s balances are capable of much
A modern digital or smart scale has practically nothing to do with the mechanics of yesteryear. Not only do they indicate the weight, but they offer different metrics. The most common is the body mass index and the percentage of fat in the body, but they are not the only ones. There are also models that measure muscle mass or hydration level, for example.
All of them support multiple users, who are automatically remembered and recognized. The most advanced models are linked to mobile applications that allow us to exhaustively monitor our values, our evolution and that offer us personalized recommendations.
Did you know that Lord Byron is reported to have struggled his entire life to stay slim and fed himself exclusively on biscuits and potatoes dipped in vinegar? Had there been smart scales in your day, we are sure you would have been among the first to have one.
What types of scales are there?
Although within each type there are different subtypes, the truth is that we do not believe that it is necessary to complicate things so much. In summary, in the current market you can find four types of scales:
- Analog or mechanical scale: although they are very resistant and easy to use, they are not the most recommended if you want very precise results or want to measure other parameters in addition to body weight.
- Electronic scale: although their precision depends on the model, they are usually more precise than the mechanical ones. They are normally battery-powered and do not need to be calibrated. There are models capable of remembering multiple users.
- Bioimpedance or body analysis scale: electrical bioimpedance (or BIA) is “a simple, fast and non-invasive technique that allows the estimation of total body water (…), of the fat-free mass (…) and fat mass ». The scales based on this technology are among the most complete on the market.
- Smart scale: this type of scale is synchronized with cell phones, usually with an application that is installed on smartphones or tablets. They incorporate wifi or Bluetooth technology.
How do you use a digital scale correctly?
So that the scale does not become your worst enemy, it is important that you use it well. To “face” it and for the experience not to be traumatic, it is not enough to get on top and wait for the weight to mark, do you know what aspects you should take into account when weighing yourself?
- Always do it on the same scale, since each device is different.
- The best time to weigh yourself is fasting, waking up, and right after using the bathroom.
- Don’t weigh yourself after exercising, as some of the weight lost could be from sweat. Also, do not panic if, after drinking alcohol the night before, you find that your weight has increased: this substance contributes to fluid retention.
- The best thing is that you weigh yourself without clothes or with as little clothing as possible because clothes are heavy.
- It is not recommended that you weigh yourself every day.
Which is better, an electronic scale or a smart one?
Although all smart scales are electronic, not all electronic scales are smart. Are you in doubt about buying a scale of one type or the other? We tell you what are the main characteristics of each one so that you can compare with the information in hand:
|Electronic scales||Digital scale|
|Price||Inexpensive, around twenty dollars.||More expensive than electronic.|
|Connectivity||They cannot connect with cell phones or with the computer.||They are connected through an app with your cell phone or a website with your computer.|
|Measurements||Fewer parameters.||More parameters, even more than a dozen.|
|Users||Capable of memorizing the profiles of between one and five users.||They memorize numerous profiles and automatically recognize each user.|
Are digital scales reliable?
Sure, they are usually much more accurate than mechanical scales. Now, you must bear in mind that there is always a small margin of error, even if it is minimal. Additionally, measurements may fluctuate based on humidity and other environmental factors, such as the slope of the ground. Therefore, it is recommended that, as far as possible, you do not move the scale.
Normally, the most accurate parameter is always going to be weight. Bioimpedance scales, while offering very comprehensive measurements, can be affected by ‘body position, hydration, ingestion of food and drink, ambient air, skin temperature, recent physical activity, and site conductance where they are used ».
Nobody likes to make mistakes with their purchases. Since we do not want you to be wrong, in this section we are going to tell you about the criteria to consider to acquire the best scale on the market:
What does it measure?
In the market, you can find from simple digital scales that measure body weight and little else to machines that evaluate more than a dozen parameters. The most important and common are:
- Body mass index or BMI
- Presence of visceral fat. If it is excessive, it could cause problems in the short, medium, and long term.
- Body fat percentage
- Bone mass, which decreases with the weight of the years. That is why it is important to have it under control.
- Water percentage
- Metabolic rate, which measures the calories burned when you are at rest.
Many digital scales need to be calibrated to give accurate values. The frequency of the necessary calibrations varies from one model to another and there are options that do not directly need them. Our recommendation, if you are looking for quantity and precision of measurements, is that you opt for a bioimpedance scale: they are the most exact.
Memory and user management
Normally, when a person begins to control their weight in the family unit, others also get to work. With a single scale at home, if it does not have memory, it is not easy, because there is no choice but to write down the results on a sheet of paper or in an Excel table. The truth is, it is not comfortable at all: it is laborious and takes a long time.
For this reason, today’s digital scales automatically remember and even recognize multiple users. This means that different people can record your personal data and keep track of your results. The simplest scales support between three and five profiles, while the most advanced can remember up to fifteen people.
Especially if your eyesight is not what it used to be, it is important that the display of your digital scale can be easily read. The best balances are those that have a widescreen, with good-sized figures, with light and in which the information appears well contrasted with the background. The screen is one of those details that makes a good scale.
Size and layout
Today’s digital scales are similar when it comes to their size: almost all are light and thin, usually not exceeding three centimeters in height. In terms of weight, most are under four pounds. The non-slip platform can be metal or tempered glass, in neutral colors that combine well with any room in the house.
Personal care is increasingly important in our society, not only to look good but also to be healthy. The digital scale is a perfect ally to lose those extra pounds, but also to keep other parameters under control, such as muscle mass or body mass index —among other possible measurements—, which are decisive for health.
Smart scales, meanwhile, can be linked to applications for smartphones or tablets and can also be synchronized with websites that evaluate our data and offer us personalized recommendations, for example. In this way, we will have our health data at hand at all times.
And you, do you already enjoy the benefits of a digital scale? Let us know in the comments and feel free to share this article in case you found it interesting.